Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Deliberation


I’m used to being behind the scenes. I stay in the Lab, away from the limelight, getting on with my work, and that’s the way I like it.


This week has been different.


The Oakley case has attracted attention from all over the place, site traffic has gone through the roof, and suddenly I’m getting queries and compliments about RF from everyone. I’ve even had a couple of messages from the people who strangled our original funding in the UK, now hoping to claim some of the credit for our success. I’ve quite enjoyed ignoring those. ;)

It feels like we’ve achieved something. It’s one of those moments when you look back and assess how you got where you are – one of those times when you want to give an acceptance speech – and while the higher education system hasn’t necessarily done us many favours, there are professors and tutors and teachers and colleagues who have made a huge difference to me.




And then there’s my family. One way or another, they’ve moulded me into the person I am. They’ve made enormous sacrifices and always done what they thought was best – and how much more can you ask than that? The road to hell might be paved with good intentions, but so is the road to here.

I should Skype home and say thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment